Saturday, April 30, 2011

Week 17 - Pets

Week 17. Pets. Did you have any pets as a child? If so, what types and what were their names. Do you have pets now? Describe them as well. If you did not have pets, you can discuss those of neighbors or other family members.

I'd be lying if I said that there was just one odd thing about our childhood but no, there are a few! One being that we were one of the few families that never had a pet. When I say never, I mean NEVER - not even a harmless little fish! Neither of our parents were fans of animals and if we ever tried begging for a pet we were told that when we grew up and moved out we were free to have all the pets that we wanted. That didn't make us give up trying though. I'll never forget the brief moment that Susan and I thought Mom had finally given in. Our friend Teresa across the street had a bunch of hamsters and she had them in their cage out in her front yard one day. I guess she told us that we could have one because I remember us rushing back across the street to our house to plead with Mom to just let us have one tiny little hamster. To our surprise she said "sure" but unfortunately followed with "you can have one but it has to stay at Teresa's house". I think we were excited for about one second until we realized that having a pet that couldn't actually live in your house wasn't really having a pet at all! So for a few weeks I think that we pretended to have a pet hamster. I don't even remember if we named it or not. We had "visitation" with our hamster only on nice days that summer when Teresa could bring the cage out in the yard because for other strange reasons we were not allowed to go inside her house.
Funny thing is that not one of the four of us owns a pet today (although David did have a sweet dog named Daisy for awhile).

1 comment:

  1. David had a crazy dalmatian for a short period of time too!

    ReplyDelete