Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Census Records

When I first logged in to Ancestry.com in 2001, I had no idea what genealogy research was all about. The first thing I discovered was the thrill of finding someone from my family in an old census record.

When the 1930 census was released to the public in 2003, the first thing I did was search for my maternal grandparents (both were born in the 1920's and thus had never appeared in a published census record).

Below are pictures of the actual 1930's census records showing each of my grandparents as very young children. (You can click to enlarge the photos.)




Although I already knew the information that is listed here - the thrill of seeing their names on a document that was handwritten in 1930 (by the census taker that showed up at their front door) was something that I'll never forget. If you've never done any genealogy research, try searching for a census record - you just may get hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment