Monday, January 31, 2011

Week 5: Favorite Food

Week #5 – Favorite Food Week 5: Favorite Food. What was your favorite food from childhood? If it was homemade, who made it? What was in this dish, and why was it your favorite? What is your favorite dish now?

In case someone not related to us is reading this, I'll let you know that this is Jeanne writing this post. Neither of my sisters would ever claim this as their favorite! I'm a food lover so picking just one food or meal as a favorite is not easy. However, the one that stands out to me is a dish called Martha's Company Casserole. It's a recipe that someone gave to my Mom when I was young and she started making it occasionally. I think I am the only one in my family who actually LOVED it and requested it all the time! It's a casserole with ground beef, egg noodles, sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and tomato sauce. There are no secret, or really very special, ingredients, but for some reason it is just so delicious. I think it may be the combo of cream cheese, cottage cheese, and sour cream which I believe are the same three ingredients that make it one of Heather and Susan's least favorite! You can find the recipe here (not sure if this is the exact recipe that my mom has but if not it's very similar).
Anyone else have a childhood favorite that they want to share?

1 comment:

  1. I just spoke to my brother about this over the weekend. He and I love very, very dark toast--just one step from burned. It's because my Mom was a bad cook (sorry Mom)and she tended to burn or nearly burn everything she made. Bottom line is that dark toast (or other nearly burned food) is our comfort food!

    ReplyDelete