Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sentimental Sunday - Lamb Barbeques

My grandfather is Croatian and his parents passed on to him the tradition of barbeque-ing lamb on a spit. Growing up we did this often in our backyard and it always involved a big party with neighbors, friends and family. My dad even built a special bbq pit out of bricks. As I've spent time researching our family, I've found many pictures of past lamb barbeques and thought it would be fun to show them here for those of you who've never had the pleasure of bbq-ing a lamb in your backyard!


My grandparents posing by the cooking lamb in the late 60's.


My grandfather putting the lamb on the spit.


A lamb cooking (head and all!)


And without the head (picture from the 80's).


Ready to eat!


My grandfather and uncle taking the lamb off the spit.

If we were lucky we could usually steal some meat before they got it to the table and started cutting it up!

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are awesome! Well, except for the dead lamb....love the pic of Bop & Grandma!

    ReplyDelete